Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Twas the Night Before Christmas

I know I've talked a lot about my Mom lately, but this is my blog....do deal with it! LOL! Growing up I think I remember more about Christmas Eve then Christmas Day. There was food on the table all day long then at night we would have a big dinner, play games, sing Christmas Carols, read the Nativity story, and open 1 present. Then when all the festivities were done all of us kids would "sleep" in one room. After a night of giggling, fighting and anticipating the next day, we would get up bright and early to tear through presents.

Even when money was scarce my Mom managed to put on an amazing Christmas with more then we ever needed! As we got older and more people were welcomed into our family, she never slowed down - Christmas was amazing!

This year I found myself trying to live up to that and keep some of my family traditions while creating new ones that are unique to me and my family. I think it was still a lot like my Mom's but I loved every minute of it. On Christmas Eve I cleaned the house then took Ryker grocery shopping with me. We decided on ham, potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. While we were there we picked up a little Christmas tree and headed up to the cemetery. It was so pretty to look around and see all the flowers, lights and trees on the graves and know that there were others who were missing their loved ones, just trying to find a way to keep them with them during the holidays.

I spent the rest of the day preparing dinner - it turned out great and I enjoyed spending that one on one time with my family. After dinner we opened 1 present - Christmas jammies! I wish I would have had my camera near by - the boys looked so cute! We read the Nativity Story, put out cookies and Coke for Santa then got the boys to bed. Rick and I ate the cookies but Rick really didn't want to drink Coke that late at night so I found an empty can and put it by the plate. I was shocked in the morning when Ryker ran right past the presents to the cookie plate and yelled "Mom, Santa ate all his cookies and he drank his CocaCola!"

After that it was all a blur of wrapping paper, toys and shrieks of excitement. Once that died down it was time to put everything together and test it out. What a fun weekend! The holidays were hard this year but I also felt so blessed to be with my extended family and my little family! Now I am for sure ready for 2012! Bring it one!

1 comment:

Monica said...

Awww, you know what? For a second this lovely post made me miss the Holiday season and all the hustle and bustle that comes with it. For a second. haha love you girly! : )