Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Uncle Dan and Aunt Carolyn

I'm going to admit a deep, dark secret. Okay, it's probably not that deep or that dark, and anyone who's known me for a while knows it, but I'm going to share it anyway!

I was just entering the scary world of being a teenager when my parents went through their divorce and instead of being a good, supportive, loving daughter - I was AWFUL! I was rebellious and immature and it breaks my heart to remember what I put my Mom through! Out of desperation she asked her brother if I could come stay with him and his family in Ohio the summer after my parents divorce was final. So after a 3 day drive with my PapPap and his wife Doris, I spent 3 months with my Uncle Dan, Aunt Carolyn and my cousins, Dana, Doug, Denise and Donnie. I know it wasn't easy for any of them, and being an awful teenager I doubt I ever told them how thankful I was for each of them. Dana took my repelling with her friends, out to movies and a treated me like another sister. I had a lot of good talks with Doug, who also took me to the movies. I really looked up to Denise and enjoyed hanging out with her and her friends. Donnie became another little brother to me, but I really loved talking with him and just hanging out (didn't enjoy his paper route, but that's a story for another day)!

I pulled some stupid stunts (if I have a daughter, I pray she has more brains then I did at that age) but they all showed me unconditional love and acceptance. That summer truly changed the course my life was on and I am so grateful that my Mom loved me enough and that they would take me in and help me through a really tough time.

The reason I am bringing this up is because my Aunt and Uncle were just here and because Ryker was sick I didn't get to spend much time with them and I don't want to miss another opportunity to say thank you to the Grammer family and let each of them know how much I really love them!

2 comments:

Lana said...

Thats awesome. I stayed with my Aunt and Uncle also when I was 17. Wow- the influence they can make hu? Im sure they loved having you.

Pye family said...

You are so sweet. I remember that summer fondly. I'm so glad to see you so happy. Your little one is adorable. We miss you guys- I wish we could see you more often. Maybe one of these years we should have a Grammer reunion.